Sunday, August 1, 2010

Finally.... a 'REAL' Triathlon

Today I set out to complete my first timed triathlon competition. It started out with a beautiful sunrise....



I had some out loud goals - such as, finish the swim in less than the 45 min it took the first time I did an open water 1/2 mile. Wasn't much besides that.

My secret goals are the ones you should really hear about -
17.0 mph avg on the bike
better than 12:33 min/mi pace on the run (12:33 was my pace from the Bolder Boulder)
Complete the WHOLE thing in under 2 hours - I expected 45 min per sport + transition time.

How did it end up?

Swim - .5 miles - 22:15 (wow!)
T1 - 8:04
Bike - 11.4 miles - 40:23 (16.9mph avg)
T2 - 6:08
Run - 3.1 miles - 38:18 (12:21 min/mile pace)

Total Time - 1:55:11

So, all things considered I 'almost' met ALL of my goals - secret and out loud! Not a bad start to a triathlon season for me!

Next.... another triathlon - Rattlesnake is August 14th and is an Olympic distance (500m swim - 40k bike - 10k run). Basically double the distance of today's event. I think that one might work just fine for me! Plus I need more time in open water and this VERY new wetsuit - arrived last Thursday!

1 comment:

Jake and Erin Lewis said...

Karyn- you ROCKED it! Well done, especially on the swim!