Thursday, October 29, 2009

To make Jamie proud - salad for breakfast!


So, my trainer, Jamie Atlas, has started making weekly 'challenges'. This week's challenge was to eat two 'new to me' vegetables OR have salad for breakfast. Well, I LOVE breakfast and I like salad... so.... here is the recipe!
------------------
Salad Lyonnaise

Yields: 2 servings (but this recipe can be easily doubled)
Time to make: ~30 minutes

What you need:

* 2 tbsp. olive oil
* ½ lb. potatoes, cubed
* ¼ lb. slab bacon, cubed — I really recommend you seek out the slab bacon for this recipe, as the chewy cubes of fat are part of what makes this salad unique.
* ½ tbsp. shallot or onion, minced
* 3 cups salad greens
* ¼ cup red wine vinegar
* 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 eggs, poached — click here to learn how to poach eggs

1. Divide the greens among 2 salad plates.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium.
3. Add the bacon and cook until the fat renders, 2 minutes or so.
4. Add the potatoes and onion.
5. Continue cooking until the potatoes are browned and the bacon is crisp, 10-15 minutes.
6. Mix the vinegar and mustard.
7. Add the vinegar mixture to the skillet and bring just a boil, stirring to mix with the bacon and potatoes.
8. Season to taste.
9. Pour the mixture over the greens.
10. Top each portion with a poached egg.
--------

MY CHANGES
I used no oil in mine, I substituted lean turkey bacon for 'real' bacon and ended up with a 5point Weight Watcher dish. I added a Thomas 'Better Start' 100 calorie english muffins with spray-on 'I can't believe it's not butter' for 1 additional point. I also fried the eggs rather than poaching. Prepare the eggs however you would like!

6 points - delicious! For those that don't follow weight watchers or have no idea what I'm talking about... This meal was approximately 300 calories. WAY more than I normally have for breakfast but worth it and very filling!

Thanks for driving me to salad for breakfast Jamie! I'll see you tomorrow morning to work off those 300 calories now!

~karyn

1 comment:

Fitness Insights said...

Nice work Karyn! Totally embarrassed at my paltry attempt at a breakfast salad in light of your culinary delight! :) Great job!