Monday, October 26, 2009

I suppose you have been waiting for this!!?!?!?!?!


OMG!!! Austin was SO much fun! What an incredible and amazing group of women! I have posted ALL of the (very un-edited) photos here..... PHOTOS.

There are only 104 photos.... but when you get done with that......

I had an infusion set fail... but one of my team mates came to the rescue with a set - but a PINK set!!!!!!

Then we matched..... yeah!

We rocked it!!! My team finished in 6:52! woot! My biking was not what I expected but it was my FIRST RACE EVER and it was an IRONMAN so I'm really okay with it. LOVED every minute. I cannot even express the joy on my face at the team dinner with friends and family as they told us how the team and what they have accomplished had affected them. wow!


We had a woman with two glucose meters fail before the race - everyone to the rescue!


I had my set fail - someone to the rescue!


someone forgot to put their CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) in their bike transition - someone to the rescue!

cap fell off my lancet device - someone to the rescue

I don't know how these girls have done shorter distances WITHOUT this team. There was something so AMAZING about EVERYONE knowing exactly what it feels like to have to stop hiking, biking, swimming, running because your blood sugar is too high/low/unpredictible or equipment failure, etc. For once - and Ramona said it, not me - DIABETES WAS EMPOWERING!!!! It was not making things impossible..... it was making them possible! Without this team (of diabetics) I would not have been participating in a HALF IRONMAN! Without this team of diabetics- a lot of us might not have made the race at all... but LOTS of extra supplies, GU and hands to help made all the difference in the world. We are AWESOME! Go Team WILD!!!


I'll live to race another day (but for today, the quads are very sore)!
~karyn - Team WILD 70.3 ATHLETE!

2 comments:

Jake and Erin Lewis said...

So SO very proud of you Karyn, and the whole of team WILD. I'm really inspired! You are a wonderful role model and someone to point to when the "can'ts" start creeping in on life. Congratulations from Erin, and Jake and Xander too!

Fitness Insights said...

Congrats just doesn't cut it. Keep us posted on Team Wild! Love hearing about this group :)