Monday, July 19, 2010

Conquer Vail Pass


Ahh.. You think you know how this story is going to end don't you!?!?!!!

yeah, a few weeks ago, we headed up Vail Pass from the East. It took 2 tries, and almost 2 days (after we regrouped for the second round).

This time.... From the West----!!!!

We dropped the bikes from the car at the Minturn exit on I-70. Who's been there?

They have done a nice job of resurfacing the trail from there to Vail, We started out crossing a nice bridge toward Vail. The trail runs through town, up the main road in town, right past two very big new hotels, up the creek behind the library, and eventually pops out on the frontage road east Vail.

From there we followed the road for several miles and back onto trail to the Summit of the Pass. I arrived first. As you might guess since I only have 12 gears, and can't ride slower than 8 miles per hour, Karyn has 27 I think, and she can ride up hills at 3.5 miles an hour.

After a snack, we headed back to the car, stopping for some doggy poop bags at the park. As we arrived, we were just over the 40 mile mark, Karyn wanted 60, so we headed down valley.

We ended up all the way out in Edwards. Then back to the car. We both rode a couple extra miles to make up the 60, and Success!

Nothing to worry about for the Copper Triangle...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tucker,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about East Vail to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane