Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Iron Butt?

What a ride!

Last you heard about leaving town was Portland...

I took a quick trip to Lake Forest for a few Tiger team meetings, and introduced a couple guys on my team to a bunch of guys on the California team. They had a good time... We visited the 'yard house' this place has over a hundred of beers on tap, it takes a few minutes to review the list before your decision.

I got back late Thursday night, just in time to pack for the next one! I was headed back to California, some time to visit with Sperry and some time to visit with Andrea on her 20th anniversary with Rich. This time though I headed out on the bike. This is ordinarily the type of ride I take the Goldwing on, but you realize this is California... There are tons of great rides out here.

With that in mind, I borrowed a bag from Karyn and strapped it onto the Superhawk for the ride...

Friday night right after work, I headed up 70 for a start to the 1080 mile trip to Thousand Oakes CA. I crashed for the night in Grand Junction, but (don't tell mom) not before the guy I was following hit something in the road. Of course second in line, it was dark, I got a piece of that too. With a short inspection of the wheel after slowing in Grand Junction, I determined no real damage.

First thing in the morning, I re-investigated and realized there was blood on my lower fairing, boot and kickstand...

I hit the road at 7 sharp (after a quick breakfast at the hotel with a group of high school football players out for the semi-championships...

I stopped at every state entry sign:
Utah:

Arizona:

Nevada:


It was too hot to take a picture of the strip in Vegas, it was over 104 degrees... Of course this was just the beginning of the hot trip in the desert...

California:



Yep, call Arnie, there was no sign entering the state of CA...

Heading through the Mojave was pretty hot, and no pictures for that part of the trip...

Arriving at Sperry and Laura's place at just after 6pm, makes for a long day... 12 hours on the road, only stopping when I needed gas, this is my fuel log:

Mileage total Fuel mpg
35


160.7 125.7 3.39 47.4
130.3 256 2.99 43.6
89.4 345.4 2.54 35.2
127.5 472.9 3.76 33.9
112.2 585.1 3.4 33.0
126.5 711.6 3.39 37.3
142.6 854.2 3.47 41.1
130 984.2 3.84 33.9
99 1083.2 2.6 38.1

It wasn't an Iron Butt, that would have required over 1000 miles with gas receipts to prove it, and all within 24 hours... Not only did I forget to fill up before I left, I arrived at Sperry's 25 hours later...

A quick visit with the busy parents, and a nice dinner out for Sushi, Saturday was over.

Sunday we got a quick ride in up Monhuland drive, and back via Deckers... This was one crowded place. Apparently there is a fire up at 'the usual place' for riding. There were cops all over and even a race team showing off their bikes at the viewpoint...

Monday I headed into the office....

1 comment:

Brad, Janet, Landon, Kalena, Willow, Skittles and a fish said...

The fuel log was nice, but a graph would have been better.

:)