Sunday, July 26, 2009

4x4?

This weekend we split our time amongst two groups of friends. Karyn went on the Beater, Noob & Princess ride. I haven't gotten the details, but she had fun. She had to play the part of a princess so she made a tutu for the bike, and one for me too!

I'll drop in a pic for you later.

But I spent a little time on the trails!!! Alex joined me heading out Friday night, we drove Rock Creek out of Allenspark. That was a fun ride. Nothing too exciting, but a long rocky trail, which abruptly ended at a sign. We turned down to pick up the best camping spot we could find which, I believe we did.The next morning we got up headed down to meet up with some friends. We were planning the Middle St Vrain and back on the Coney flats trail. Camping somewhere near the end.

Karyn and I happened up there a few years back... Her green truck was less than 1 year old at the time. We had a great ride into the trailhead for Buchannan pass and Red Deer Lake. We backpacked into Red Deer for a night. We rode these two trails backwards from this trip.

We started out pretty clean.
This was the first obstacle which turned out to be a little tricky... I hit bottom right about here:

Then we found some mud!




This is David who joined us on his Dakar.

Erin and Jake joined us bringing along the newest Lewis we know, Xander... I don't know, you figure out how they pronounce that...



We eventually got to the trailhead for Red Deer just past the turn for Coney Flats. We decided this was a great place to camp. So we setup tents, Mom and Xander went to bed, Jake David and Alex went for a hike, but that was all after I was already out in the river Fishing.

I caught a lot of 4-6 inch Brookies... That's not all that exciting, and especially for me, not that great of eating... So I really thought about keeping the fat 9"er that I caught, but I didn't have anything to keep him in...

The next morning we hit the trail again. It wasn't long before we found some fun!



Then there was more fun!






And eventually we got out to Beaver Reservior.


A quick lunch, David was wet, as you can imagine... We packed up his bike.

We parted ways, again Alex joined me to check out a 1965 plane wreck up another 3 mile trail.

Of course the trail description didn't say it was hard, infact easier than what we had been on... Alex did not agree...



The plane was a jet trainer T33.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_T-33

The engine was several hundred feet down hill...


Then we headed back home. I'm home early for a Sunday night (4:45pm)... I still had a 1/2 tank of gas!

Mean time, I showed back at the house, just before Karyn finished her 40 mile training ride for Tour de Cure (for diabetes) in August. I'll ask her to post up when she has more energy







1 comment:

Brad, Janet, Landon, Kalena, Willow, Skittles and a fish said...

bummer for that pilot! Those are quite the rocks that you drove over. Looking forward to the photo of Karyn and her outfit :)