Thursday, March 23, 2017

Haute Route Preparation

Time for some preparation.  2 weeks before the trip and I don't even have my skis and bindings setup.

I did requisition some equipment from Jim and Tracy to help offset the otherwise purchase of equipment potentially a 1 time use situation.

 In February Karyn had her setup ready.  Mocha helped out quite a bit.

 But it was very exhausting...
 Karyn skied several days on her ski setup for the Haute Route.  The skis worked as planned.  Jay, Ingrid and I listened to some discussions about packing and equipment for ski touring in Colorado at our local backcountry store.
 But finally 2 weeks prior to the trip my skis arrived (via e-bay and a local pickup by my dad).  Time to set up, and again I had help.  Apparently it wasn't quite as exhausting...
 We met up with the full group for an equipment check.  Jay was already attached to Ingrid, but they definitely sealed the deal...
 The last part of prep was adding anti-balling plates to the crampons.  These are pretty critical for warm snow applications.  They prevent soft snow from building up on the bottom of the boot which can cause the crampons to be unable to touch the snow.  What happens then?  A dangerous slide...
Jim to the rescue again with some 4mm rubber and I used some bailing wire to attach.


No comments: