Friday, February 5, 2016

So, this happened........

So, this happened -
 
Tucker and I decided the household was too quiet/calm with Booger gone and went in search of a new kitty friend.    I had looked a couple of times at a couple of shelters but couldn't find one that stole my heart.

Last Saturday we took the day off of skiing and went to a couple of shelters.   We met 'Miss Kitty' and she was so calm and lovable that we thought we'd take her home with us.
Turns out she has been in and out of the shelter 3 times since last April.   First, she was delivered to the shelter with LOTS and LOTS of other animals from one home - we assume animal hording.   Second, she was returned because she was 'aggressive' with someone's children.   Third, she was returned due to the owner's inability to care for her....    She had been there for only 2 weeks before we found her!

She is 10 years old.  She has feline herpes (so does Handsome) and knows how to (not) use her claws.  
She needed a name though......
a name... .how hard can choosing a name be?  She already had one.

I got 'pressured' into choosing a name for 'Joe' 16 years ago.... They absolutely had to have a name to give to the 'chip' people.     I couldn't decide but his name was NOT Joe.  And I had to decide at that very moment.   And I thought back to a childhood story of Tucker's about a fire breathing dragon that is the last one on earth and must save the earth from the sun freezing over.   The dragon is young and doesn't know how to breath fire....    They give him a mirror to convince him that he is really a dragon and not one of them.   He looks into the mirror and says 'Handsome, handsome draaaaggggoooon!'
That dragon figured out who he was and I figured out that 'Joe' was really 'Handsome Handsome'!

Soooooo.... long story, I know.   Stay with me.. it's almost over.

The woman at the animal shelter left us alone with 'Miss Kitty' and we decided that we should start thinking of names so we didn't get 'pressured' into it.   We threw around a few names - Fireball.....   I don't remember what else.    I asked Tucker 'Where was the last place we skied?'   He answered 'Copper Mountain, why?'  I looked at him and suggested 'Copper'.....     And now we have a beautiful tabby named Copper (after the ski area)

Interesting where names come from, huh?




 Everyone else is still trying to figure out what this new addition to the family is even doing here.... and not very happy about it.



No comments: