Saturday, April 19, 2014

I forgot how much I love Showers

Friday morning I was up getting coffee, and checking e-mail etc. like I normally do before taking a shower, and I heard my phone receive a text...

"Did you have any hot water?  I didn't try hard this morning but it didn't seem like it was getting warm."

So I tried with no success.  I headed for the basement.

There was a couple inches of water under the water heater, but luckily more or less isolated there.  A few boxes got wet.  I shut things down and headed off to figure out what I could.

The heater was shot, leaking from the top of all places...  When I got back down to check on it, the water on the floor was gone.  Interesting since I know the main drain to the sewer is at the level of the TOP of the hot water heater...  I bet this hot water heater is sitting on the original dirt floor of the basement.

The first trip to the Hardware store was for a pump and short hose.

The pump said it could drain this volume of water in 20 minutes.  It took 1.5 likely for two reasons, the water couldn't drain from the tank fast enough, additionally the hose had to go up stairs and out the back door.

Some follow on projects getting a new heater and down the staircase Don came over to help with the gas and water lines for the new hot water heater.

At some point (one of my 5 total trips to the Hardware Store) Karyn had 4 pots of water on the stove???   She was planning a bath...





\

How often do you get to use a pick and shovel in the basement?






After a couple hours we had the new one installed.  But it was 9:30 pm on Friday.

Saturday morning!  I got to have a great shower!

No comments: