Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Today is..... World Diabetes Day..... screw that sh!t.


Today is World Diabetes Day -


I am facing healthcare costs that are more than 2X what they were 2 years ago (not including premium increases) and less tax free dollars to spend on them - thanks to the latest American legislature.

I'm not REALLY blaming Obama but I am.

I'm not usually politically vocal but this change means the new technology on the market is less affordable - a CGM with higher accuracy and better alarms is available NOW.....  I won't be paying the $399 'upgrade' fee but rather wait for my warranty to expire in July (which might cost me more with my copay).   JULY until I can keep better track of my blood sugar.  8 more months that might lead to more ER visits and/or complications.   BECAUSE I'm not willing to pay 'full' price for that 'luxury'.   So the system is still (and/or more) fucked.  Sorry, but I am pissed.

Now my healthcare costs a full $2000+ more per year than it did 2 years ago. 
*edited to add more detail to this additional $2000 - these are costs that my secondary insurance (Tucker's) used to cover for me BUT Obamacare has driven more and more companies to 'Consumer Driven Health Care' - which you can't have at the same time as traditional insurance - a.k.a. HSA.  Google it if you must. ;) 

Oh, AND I can only set aside $2500 tax free in my healthcare spending 'flex' account.(this is new for 2013) - because we thought that limiting this amount would result in more tax dollars to pay for Obamacare.  Sorry that I'm pissed but this hits close to home.   I just got a new insulin pump.  My co-pay?   $1000.  that is almost half of my $2500 of pre-tax dollars.  Guess what?  I normally put aside $4000 pre-tax.  so, this is awesome.  And by that, I mean NOT.  By definitnion, I am not a Republican and I am not a Democrat.

Like the rest of you... I am trying to figure out what works best for me.  This doesn't.  End of story.  If I had gotten my insulin pump on Jan 1st.   That would leave me with $1500 to pay for a years worth of insulin ($50/3mo), meter strips ($50/3mo), copays for the endicrinologist ($30/3mo) plus pump supplies and continuous glucose supplies ($250/3mo).  Plus, my $500 deductible off the bat.  great, just great.  do some math.   $2000.  Plus, any other prescriptions - oh, I'm hypo-thyroid, yay, another auto-immune disease.   I am known to hurt 'something'.  there is the dentist and the ophthalmologist.   why aren't more people pissed about the $2500 cap???  cause there aren't that many of us.  so WHY LIMIT US?!?!?!?!    you think people are using the flex spending account as a tax shelter?  I doubt it.  So, instead those of us with predictable healthcare spending - the chronically ill....  we suffer and put off healthcare we need.   Like an upgraded insulin pump, CGM, a crown at the dentist..... etc.  Guess who suffers?  The chronically ill and the companies we would purchase from- that dentist office, the pump manufacturer, the CGM manufacturer.  Guess what it causes?  More problems downstream. It is not just me/us with diabetes.  I have friends with MS, cancer, etc.
*sigh*
Done ranting but not done being pissed.  Going to watch my 'less acurate' CGM while I train for my next Ironman.  yes, my next Ironman (Tucker-you are supposed to talk to Tony and Karen*)
Diabetes sucks and it's WAY more fuking expensive, for me, than it was 2 years ago - Thanks US GOVT.
*rant done.  thanks for putting up with it ;)
Here is a pic of KarenL's crap that helps her control her diabetes - weird that the running shoes, wetsuit and bike aren't part of it but.... anyway...

No comments: