Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What was I thinking?!?!?!?!

So, I bought this road bicycle last fall.....



and fell in LOVE! I *might* love it more than skiing... shhhhh, don't tell Tucker! I had knee surgery 4 weeks ago... did I mention that I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been since my FIFTEENTH BIRTHDAY!!!!!?!??!?! That makes just over 19 years of shots, insulin, glucose tests, A1C tests, doctor's visits, etc. Those of you that know me well know that I normally don't make a big deal of it but it is right now - and it has something to do with BICYCLING!!!!

In August this year I plan on riding the Tour de Cure - I plan on raising over $1000 for the American Diabetes Association. Oh! Did I mention that they hold the BBB Seal Holder. What this means to you is if you donate to me!!!! - the ADA will use your donations responsibly....
**less than 5% of the budget went towards administrative expenses last year!** YEAH!

I have never participated in this type of event before... well, there was one motorcycle ride? I will donate the first $200 (did i just say that?) and the rest is up to you guys! Keep in mind than an insulin pump costs more than $5000 (my insurance has a $1k limit annually on DME (durable medical equipment), thank you Tucker insurance)! There is a woman at my work whose pump is out of warranty and when it fails - so does she, so to speak. The ADA may or may not be able to help her out - and we have GREAT insurance!

My website can be found at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/KarynBrown

Please donate!!!! My training started this week and I'm sorta looking forward to riding more than 60 miles with others in red jerseys (I'm on team Red Riders - we ALL have diabetes!). I'll post a picture on ride day which isn't until Aug. 22. My personal goal is $1000 right now (hoping to increase that based on participation!) and my team is looking to raise $750,000!!!!!! *please remember that your gifts are tax deductible and I can provide a receipt if required!*

I am SO excited to be riding after the last month of no, no, no, and no from the docs and physical therapists!

Donate soon (and often!) Make my $200 MORE, MORE, MORE, MORE!!!!

~karyn


oh! and the deck... still no stairs but an updated pic!

No comments: