Saturday, February 21, 2009

Doctors, doctors and more doctors

In the past two weeks Karyn (me!) has been to two doctors... the internal medicine doc - i.e. annual checkup - and the endicrinologist - diabetes doc. The internal medicine doc went something like this....

"um, my chest hurts"
"how long has it been hurting?"
"3 weeks - i think I strained a muscle"
"why do you think that?"
"I don't remember hitting anything or anything hitting me...."
"let's take xrays - not that they will show anything."

Wednesday afternoon - phone message "Just like I figured the xrays don't show a break but with your bones and the way you described the pain let's treat it like that. If it's not better in 4 weeks come see me again"

*yeah* (BTW, that was TWO weeks ago and yes, it still hurts)

the following week, the diabetes doc! I was so excited....! I started working out 3 days a week with a personal trainer the first week of November and see the endicrinologist every 3 months so was expecting to see some medical results.... here are the results....
last time, weight = 185 lbs
this time, weight = 184 lbs
last time, A1C = 7.1
this time, A1C = 7.7
....... REALLY?!?!?!?!??! so frustrated.
For those that don't know an A1C is basically the 'average' of your blood sugar over about a 3 month span... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycosylated_hemoglobin . my goal is less than 7.0. Feb 2008 it was 6.4..... do you see the problem? I work hard and it goes UP?

so, i've been exercising more, maybe a bit more stress at work but come on.... really?

i talk to the nurse about a CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System) to try and figure out where the problems are. This thing has a sensor that is stuck in you 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, monitoring your blood sugar. I'm a geek so technology gets the best of me but I also have a great motivation to use it!

The nurse calmly tells me that the insurance will refuse to pay and it will take 6 months or more of appeals to get them to pay for it. or I can 'borrow' the receiver from the doc's office and just pay for the sensor ($120) that lasts 7 days. hmmmm.... time will tell. I hope the insurance doesn't argue too much or that having 2 insurance policies will help! I'll keep ya posted.

No comments: