Saturday, December 18, 2010

Coffee maker troubles

About 1.5 years ago we bought this coffee maker - burr grinder included!


It stopped heating the water at approx 11 months of age. I tore it apart and put it back together.... it magically started working again - keep in mind that I didn't actually DO anything to it, it just started working. Just took it apart.... sigh.



And it continued to work well until 2 weeks ago. I started searching on the internet for ways to fix it since we had bought a different brand of grind-and-brew coffee makers and hated it so much we sold it less than 3 days later on Craigslist. I found a couple of blog postings about fixing the coffee maker. It seems that there are some thermal fuses in the base of the thing - that are cheap-o and fail often. I purchased 3 of each temp rating (for $1.25/each). So, I can now fix our coffee maker two more times for less than $10 for all 3 repairs!) in case I damaged one or lost it or whatever.

I cut out the old ones, realized I had no butt splices to reassemble the dang thing, and ran off to Radio Shack. I returned quickly with the butt splices and went to town! 5 minutes later, everything was put back together with the new parts installed.



Now.... does it work or was this adventure futile...? I plugged it in, poured water in and listened (with glee) as the water started heating and pouring into the carafe! Our favorite coffee maker is repaired and we are, once again, pleased with it. AND, as one of the repair guides said "Can you smell that? That's the smell of delicious do-it-yourself satisfaction."

*I am still smiling*

No comments: