Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Boulder Dushanbe Tea House

I owe a blog on the broken binding from last weekend.... But instead I'm going to drop a note on the Boulder Dushanbe Tea House. I was there for dinner with a work group....

The Boulder Dushanbe Tea House http://www.boulderteahouse.com/ was presented to the city of Boulder by the Mayor of Dushanbe after a visit in 1987. I've been to the tea house before, but only for tea... It's a tea house after all. Tonight I was there for dinner, I ordered the Tajikistan Plov. The menu reads: Traditional rice dish with carrots, onions, chickpeas and spices with grilled beef, tomato-cucumber salad, dried fruit.
So I was wondering when I ordered, what kind of dried fruit was I going to get?

The food came, and I liked the tomato-cucumber salad, which did not have dried fruit, it was served over Spinach. The cucumbers were not real fresh, but still good flavor. The beef was served over the "Traditional rice dish with carrots, onions, chickpeas". I'm not sure where the spices were, but I couldn't find them in the rice, and the definitely were not on the charred beef which came with it. I was a little surprised, 1/2 of the beef was cooked medium/medium well (which is just fine with me), but the other half was well done and charred on the outside. I have to admit, I don't think I need to go back....

They did pay for the meal, as you would expect... But the question running through my mind, is "Why would anyone serve that?"

All in all, I was thinking the dried fruit would go well with a savory well spiced beef slice over some mild flavored rice/vegetables.... That' wasn't quite how things ended up....

And check this out... yes it was as black as the picture represents:

2 comments:

Karyn said...

That sounds terrible! I enjoyed a coconut crusted tilapia baked in our oven instead.... :)

Jake and Erin Lewis said...

Too bad! We've eaten there with very good success... try one more time before giving up- but order something different, like the chickpea meatball things...