Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkey time!

Sounds like we're hosting Christmas this year. We're going to fry a turkey. That's always a fun event, and I really like the outcome.

Everyone has heard the horror stories of burning the turkey when the oil is too hot, and heck burning down the house when the oil catches fire.

We're using the recommended peanut oil, flash point at 460 degrees or so. We'll try to keep the fryer at 350 for best results...

The Vanpool invited us to join them on Thanksgiving... I offered to fry the turkey for them too. Shelly really likes the idea of 1 hour or less cook time... As their party grew, we're going to fry 2 turkeys... This will be fun!

Here are a couple cool links:
Maybe we'll try some gumbo recipes...
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/fried-turk.html

This one has lots of nice warnings...
http://www.crawfishcoofcentralflainc.com/Fried-Turkey-Instructions.html

2 comments:

CottonMouse said...

I'm still kicking myself for not going to the hangar last year and getting some fried turkey. I've never had it before and wanted to give it a shot since my family is never going to fry one, and this year, well looks like Matt's family aren't deep fryers either. Hope it all goes well. Look up Time-warp deep fried turkey...there are some interesting videos about how it all explodes... no frozen turkeys!

Happy thanks giving!

Unknown said...

You don't know how much you've helped my mom out by hosting (and me too, indirectly). Can't wait to see you all